| Indianapolis—On Friday, May 30th, nearly 2,000 IU Health team members – donning new lime green Strength That Cares t-shirts – will work in 19 parks, two schools and one neighborhood leaving behind nearly 6,000 hours of donated time to their communities.
Together, IU Health team members will be creating 3,250 walking kits, 34 new picnic tables, 20 pieces of fitness equipment and 9 pieces of new playground equipment, among many other park improvements, to encourage more Hoosiers to get out and get active. In Indianapolis, this will include a bicycle giveaway to third-graders from three IPS schools as well as installation of Indy Parks’ dynamic outdoor fitness equipment at Riverside Park, among other activities.
“The IU Health Day of Service is about investing in our communities to improve the health of our fellow Hoosiers,” said Ron Stiver, senior vice president of engagement and public affairs for IU Health. “From improving our parks to building school playgrounds to providing bicycles to third graders, our IU Health team will be working to ensure our neighbors have access a healthy lifestyle.”
Volunteers in Indianapolis will be disbursed throughout nine locations just outside of IU Health’s downtown facilities, including Riverside Park, Indy Urban Acres (an eight acre organic farm providing over 30,000 pounds of fresh fruits and vegetables to local food pantries), Charlie Wiggins Park (a newly created pocket park featuring 200 colorfully stacked tires as part of a new athletic climbing hill), Watkins Park, Cultural Trail Pacer Bike Share Program, and Carpe Diem-Meridian School. In addition, IU Health volunteers will work alongside neighborhood volunteers to clean up and revitalize the grounds of abandoned urban properties in the United Northwest Area neighborhood.
WHEN: Friday, May 30
10 am – 4 pm
Best time for coverage is 10:00am-11:30am and 1:30pm-3:00pm
1. UNWA (United Northwest Area ) Neighborhood
Riverside Park, 2420 E. Riverside Dr., Indianapolis, IN 46208
- Students from IPS # 87 and #42 will participate in bike and helmet fitting/decorating stations as well as a Riley bike safety course with an IMPD bike officer demo from 10:30-11:30 am; Students from IPS #44 will do the same from 1:15-2:15 pm. IU Health team members assembled all 165 bikes being donated to the IPS students today.
- Unveiling installment of brand new outdoor adult exercise equipment – elliptical machines
- Mural painting
- Repainting outdoor equipment, landscaping, general upgrades
Watkins Park – 7700 E. 21st Street, Indianapolis, IN 46219
- Playground improvement
- Outdoor painting, landscaping
- 120 new plantings for front entry
- Mural painting
General UNWA Neighborhood
- Cleaning up abandoned lots, clear away debris, landscape
2. Indy Urban Acres (Shadeland Neighborhood), 7700 E. 21st Street, Indianapolis, IN 46219
- Preparing the vegetable beds, which produce over 30,000 pounds of fresh produce to Hoosiers through area food banks
- Installing a rain garden (a landscape element called a bioswale)
- Building shade structure, mulching the agro trail and installing walking pavers painted by IU Health employees
- Planting 1,100 feet of sunflowers for a “sunflower wall”
3. Carpe Diem-Meridian School (2240 N. Meridian St., Indianapolis, IN 46208)
- IU Health team members will work together alongside the students and faculty of Carpe Diem School to create an outdoor fitness area, which will help students stay fit in mind and body.
4, Cultural Trail Pacer Bike Share Program (various bike stations along the Cultural Trail)
- BikeShare rental stations along the Cultural Trail will be staffed with IU Health volunteers to help explain and promote this great new asset from 11 am – 1 pm, as part the IU Health Day of Service.